[mythtv-users] Help troubleshooting why remote frontends not able to connect after upgrade

Paul D. Cnudde cnuddep at rogers.com
Sat Apr 26 17:43:44 UTC 2008

Greetings,
I recently upgraded my mythboxen to 0.21 using the debian packages from
debian-multimedia .  My setup is 1 BE\FE and 2 remote frontends.  All
was working perfectly before the upgrade.

When trying to watch recordings on remote frontends this is what i get
after the upgrade:

Could not connect to the master backend server -- is it running?  Is the
IP address set for it in the setup program correct?

The frontend on the server runs without issue.

I stopped the backend , ran mythtv-setup and re-entered the IP address
(192.168.1.3) of my server as well creating a PIN, then restarted the
backend.
On the remote machine I removed all mysql.txt and config.xml files and
launched mythfrontend. The frontend setup screen is presented, after I
selected the Language, I select the Backend server which is displayed,
get prompted for the PIN, save the backend setting but still can't
connect. I Check the config.xml and mysql.txt file and the right IP is
there - 192.168.1.3.

When I run mythfrontend -v all from a command line I can see quite
clearly that it has no problem logging in to the database and executing
queries. When I select Media Library -> Watch recordings  for some
reason it is trying to connect to a backend server on the local machine.

Connecting to backend server: localhost:6543 (try 1 of 5)

of course there isn't one and it times out and fails.  I have double
checked the backend settings and the config.xml and mysql.txt files on
both the backend and the frontend, all the IP addresses are consistent -
192.168.1.3.  I have run queries against the settings table in the
mythconverg db looking for anything with localhost and nothing turns up.

Does anyone know why my remote frontends would persist in trying to
connect to a backend on localhost?

Eternal gratitude comes your way for any suggestions
thanks