[mythtv-users] Storage Group Priorities

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Apr 26 19:00:48 UTC 2008

On 04/26/2008 10:00 AM, Drew Tomlinson wrote:
> I recently moved to the 0.21-fixes and am now trying to understand
> Storage Groups.  After being bitten by one bad drive in a LVM setup on
> 0.19 and losing EVERYTHING, I love the concept.

Yes.  MD is evil* (and by MD, I don't mean Mike Dean).

>   My current situation is
> that I have 1 TB external eSATA/USB 2.0 drive that I'm using via USB
> because my system won't boot (hangs at the Silicon Image config screen)
> when it's plugged into my SATA 150 port (is the drive too big?).  I also
> have two 500 GB ATA-133 drives.  Each drive has one XFS partition and is
> its own storage group.
>
> I want to prefer the internal drives for HD content as they are faster
> and (less CPU intensive during playback) as long as there's room.  I
> also want to limit the USB drive to either one HD recording (if is has
> to be used) or two SD recordings at a time.  I found the wiki entry on
> Storage Groups (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Storage_Groups) and
> it linked to a post on the wiki by Chris Pinkham regarding Storage Group
> Weighting
> (http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Storage_Groups_Weighting).

Didn't know that was on the wiki.  I clicked reply on this message with
the intent of linking to Chris's post on the list (that's quited on that
page).

>   I have
> searched the DB tables for the fields mentioned but can not find them.
> Do I have bad eyes or have things changed?

No.  Settings are /values/ within the DB (specifically the settings
table), not fields.  Just insert a row with the appropriate values.  The
specific settings you need don't exist in a normal system.  They're
"undocumented" extra settings.

Mike

*OK, I admit that MD has its place, but in Myth is not one of them.