[mythtv-users] Mac games with MythGame ???

blake blake at www.loadedshelf.com
Sun Apr 27 00:22:06 UTC 2008

On Sat, 26 Apr 2008 15:36:30 -0700, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:

> But you have to admit that the vast majority of games, and the most
> successful ones, are extremely violent, and most gamers seem to like
> it that way.

As I said before (when you said you were going to drop the subject), you'd
be better off researching the subject before opining on it. Hardcore
gamers love them some violence--and we can debate off-list whether that's
a good, bad or irrelevant thing somewhere else--but they aren't the vast
majority of gamers. Cite:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_video_games

I don't think it says so in the above article, but from about '98 to '01,
Roller Coaster Tycoon was in the top 10 for PC games. It broke all records
up to that point for length of time in the top 10. The 2000s have been
absolutely dominated by The Sims, at 50 million sales. Even the less
successful Sims 2 beats out WOW.

Anyway, the #1 current-generation non-portable console, if you've been
sleeping, is the Nintendo Wii. Despite a year lag, it now boasts about 50%
more units sold thatn the Xbox. Last month it sold 3x as many units as the
Xbox 360 (or PS3, which about matched the 360). There are no extremely
violent games in the Wii's top 10.

Nintendo's DS sells even more (I think it's the #1 game console) and I
don't think there's anything of note that's violent, unless you count
Tamogatchi abuse.

The Top 20 bestselling console games of all time include three GTA titles
and that's it for "extremely violent" games.

In other words, no, no one has to admit that "the vast majority of games,
and the most successful ones, are extremely violent". Because it's not
true. It's a myth perpetuated by a tabloid media and power-hungry
politicians who know that they can inflame the ignorant with impunity as
long as they marginalize a population (cf. violence on television,
pornography, Dungeons & Dragons, rock music, rap music, swing music, jazz,
EC horror comics, pulp fiction, etc.).

I don't mean to be strident about it, really, but we're all--as users of
MythTV--in a similarly "marginal" population. The same tactics used
against gamers are used against those who have the audacity to think that
"fair use" means something.