[mythtv-users] problem after Ubuntu 7.10 -> 8.04 upgrade

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 01:43:12 UTC 2008

Good evening, all:

 I just upgraded my frontend and backend systems from Ubuntu 7.10 to Ubuntu
8.04.  For some reason, after this upgrade, I am unable to watch recordings
or live TV on my upgraded frontend, though I am able to watch videos using
the internal player (the recordings are stored on the backend, but the
videos are stored on another machine; the backend connects to this via NFS,
and the frontend gets the videos through the connection to the backend....I
hope that makes sense).  I've checked all the normall server settings, and I
can see nothing wrong with any of that; everything seems to be as it was
before the upgrade.  It does not appear to be a networking issue, as I am
able to connect via NFS, and as I said, I can watch videos.  The frontend
starts and loads fine, it's just when I go to actually watch something, I
end up with a black screen.  I am able to connect and watch
videos/recordings/live tv from my two other frontends, one running Ubuntu
8.04, and one running Debian etch.

Has anyone seen anything similar?  Any suggestions?

I'm also having a little trouble administering my backend.  It runs
headless, and I normally interact with it via VNC from my main desktop
machine.  It work fine with 7.10; I was able to connect when the backend was
at the login screen, and I simply had to login via the VNC connection.  Now
it seems that when I try to login this way, I get a message saying the
connection was reset by peer or something like that.  If I hook a keyboard
and monitor to the machine, and login that way, I am then able to connect
with VNC as I normally do.  Again, this is new as of my upgrade to 8.04
today.

I have work arounds for the VNC problem, but I really don't know what to do
about the issue with my main frontend.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

 Josh