[mythtv-users] Problems installing FE only on Mythbuntu 8.04

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Sun Apr 27 20:44:00 UTC 2008

Matt Emmott wrote:
> My main MythTV box is a Mythbuntu 7.10-based FE/BE combo. It's running
> 0.21. I'm trying to install the new Mythbuntu 8.04 as a Frontend-only
> machine on another machine, but when I tell it to build an FE only, it
> can't connect to my backend. Even worse, it won't let me ignore the
> error and continue. I've configured my main machine with a setup PIN of
> 0000 (allow any host) and I can stream TV using MythTV Player for
> Windows, so I don't believe there's a connection or security issue in
> MySQL. Am I missing something? Is there any way to ignore the error,
> build an FE-only system, and figure out the bug afterwards? Seems like a
> poor UI design unless I'm missing something obvious.
>
> On another note, there's some option to magically pull the info from my
> existing Myth setup without any other intervention. How does this work?

When it tries to connect to the backend, it is literally just trying to connect
to the MySQL port with the username and password you supply.  Once it verifies
that it was able to 'connect', it will allow you to move forward.  The choice
for 8.04 to require you to test the connection first was made because really
weird errors will pop up later if the connection isn't working during install.

If you don't trust ubiquity on this, try connecting on a command line using the
mysql command line utility.

That option to pull information is only if you have used the 'live frontend'
during that boot.

--
Mario Limonciello
mario.mailing at gmail.com