[mythtv-users] mythreplex issue

Udo van den Heuvel udovdh at xs4all.nl
Tue Apr 29 15:38:32 UTC 2008

Misty P wrote:
> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> Misty P wrote:
>> (...)

>>> You can start by giving a description of what you're trying to do,
>>> and why.
>> We take file Recordings/1_20080428225400.mpg
>> We output it to file x.mpg with type DVD.
>>
>> When we have a file more conforming to the DVD format we might be able
>> to archive it.
>> Because of local reasons I want to take the manual route.
>
> Ah, well now it's clear why it's not working.  15 Mbps is far too high of a
> bitrate for a standard DVD.

The DVB-T mpeg can't ever have a 15 MBps rate. It may be 'marked' as
such, but the actual bitrate is much lower. This is Digitenne/KPN in the
Netherlands:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Record_multiple_channels_from_one_multiplex#Netherlands
Many channels in a tiny plutiplex.
I get less than about 5 GB/hour in mpegs for 3 TV-channels.

> See
> http://people.csail.mit.edu/tbuehler/video/MPEG-2.html , under "rate
> control".

That will re-encode my video, costing precious CPU and time and
video-quality.

If I understand things correctly now, mythreplex thinks the bitrate is
higher than it actually is.
How could I verify this?

Kind regards,
Udo