[mythtv-users] mythreplex issue

Misty P mistyp at thekorn.net
Tue Apr 29 15:56:53 UTC 2008

Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>> Misty P wrote:
>> Ah, well now it's clear why it's not working.  15 Mbps is far too
>> high of a bitrate for a standard DVD.
>
> The DVB-T mpeg can't ever have a 15 MBps rate. It may be 'marked' as
> such, but the actual bitrate is much lower. This is Digitenne/KPN in
> the
> Netherlands:
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Record_multiple_channels_from_one_multiplex#Netherlands
> Many channels in a tiny plutiplex.
> I get less than about 5 GB/hour in mpegs for 3 TV-channels.
>
>> See
>> http://people.csail.mit.edu/tbuehler/video/MPEG-2.html , under "rate
>> control".
>
> That will re-encode my video, costing precious CPU and time and
> video-quality.
>
> If I understand things correctly now, mythreplex thinks the bitrate is
> higher than it actually is.
> How could I verify this?

Wow, all the channels in one multiplex!  I guess that saves money on tuners,
eh?

If *I* were in your situation, I'd first try splitting (de-muxing) the
stream into its original streams, then archiving the stream I wanted.  (see
doom9.net -- they have all the demuxers you could possibly want.)  Might not
be an elegant solution, but it might get you on the correct road to one.

Seems strange that your original file would (apparently) be the entire
stream, rather than just the stream you wanted recorded.  I record off of a
multicast myself, and mythTV only stores the part of the stream I decided to
record.