[mythtv-users] optimum for HDRingBufferSize?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Apr 29 18:03:29 UTC 2008

On 04/29/2008 01:29 PM, Udo van den Heuvel wrote:

>  Kevin Kuphal wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:03 AM, Udo van den Heuvel  wrote:
> >
> >> I am streaming 3 lowish bitrate DVB-T channels to SATA disk on a
> >> VIA Epia EN12000. What is the optimum value for HDRingBufferSize
> >> to use just enough RAM to smoothly stream stuff and avoid
> >> hiccups, harddisk thrashing, etc? 18800?
> >
> > The default?  I've never had to change it and I'm using two
> > AverMedia A180 HD cards with 2 simultaneous recordings each.
>
>  Then why would it be configurable?

Because people love to flip switches that do things they don't understand.

>  I am just looking for some way to verify if my setting is OK or a way
>  to calculate or find out the best setting that causes the least
>  chance of problems.

There are 2 ways (often used together) trial and error.

Or, as Kevin (properly) recommended, use the value that the person who
wrote the code--and who properly understands the
tradeoffs/consequences/etc.--felt was an appropriate value.

If it ain't broke...

Mike