[mythtv-users] Constant Video stalls/lockups - looking for suggestions

Mark Himsley mark at mdsh.com
Tue Apr 29 19:34:21 UTC 2008

Bruce Nordstrand wrote:

>> Playing *anything* will result in the video freezing for up to 30 secs
>> and this happens randomly and sometimes more than once. Videos are on a
>> network share via NFS and do the same whatever I use as the player
>> Internal, Xine, MPlayer. It doesn't matter if there is anything
>> recording or not - this machine is a combined frontend/backend. This
>> makes it real hard to watch things like Buffy and Dr Who!!! :)
>>
>> ______________________
> Answering my own post, I think I have fixed my particular problem. I
> replaced the FX5200 / 128Mb / Composite Out with an FX5500 / 256Mb /
> SVideo Out and along with the Slim playback setting, videos sourced off
> an NFS mount now play nice and smooth, no glitches. I also tried the
> Normal setting but got a couple of video glitches but perfect audio, not
> quite as good as Slim. So at this point I am happy. Other with this
> problem may like to investigate a slightly better video card to run with
> 0.21.

For me 0.21 was working fine, SD MPEG2 playback ticked along at 30-40%
CPU. Upgrading to Ubuntu Hardy caused xv-blit rendering to be unworkable
and opengl rendering to use very nearly 100% of my Pentium 4 3.2GHz
processor and stutter every minute or two.

I'd like to hear if anyone has any other suggestions how I can fix this
on the hardware I already have that worked last week :-/

P4 3.2GHz processor, 2GB RAM, ATA Radion 9200 PRO, Myth frontend and
backend on same box with recordings on local 7500 RPM SATA 750GB drive.

--
Mark