[mythtv-users] DVD jukebox?

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Apr 29 21:06:59 UTC 2008

Matt Emmott
> On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 4:54 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>

>> Ignacio Valdes
>> >
>> > 1) Is there a player such as MythTV that we could simply load our
>> > 10-15 original store bought DVD's and play them without intervention
>> > for days at a time?
>>
>> Build a box with a pile of USB DVD players.  Since you play one at a
>> time,
>> you could hang 4 from a hub with no problems.
>>

> That's too expensive, power hungry, and complicated to build. I have a
> Windows 2003 server with a shared 750GB disc loaded with ISO rips of
> DVDs.
> I rip all my movies in Windows using either DVD Decrypter, DVD Shrink or
> Ripit4me.

Yabbut....  The OP wants to play his store-bought DVDs, not rips.  With a
hospital, I would assume that ripping might be frowned upon by the powers
that be.  Thus the rack-o-DVD players.  Plus it doesn't require any
technical expertise; just power up the machine, shove DVDs in there, and
go away.  When the time comes to change movies, push the eject button,
stick a new DVD in.

I would definitely rip and play.  But in a comercial setting I can see the
benefit of multiple players.

--
Windows is like a canary in a coal mine, it's the first thing to die on
your network.