[mythtv-users] MythFrontend on the Nokia n800

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Wed Apr 30 03:05:31 UTC 2008

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
>> I needed to transcode video down to 320x240 and rotated 90 deg
>> (the Sharp
>> screen is 480x640 native) and 15 FPS to get acceptable video and
>> low-enough CPU usage.  The screen is small enough where this makes no
>> difference; visually the detail is similar to native DVD
>> resolution on a
>> big-screen LCD.
>>
>> So yes, it's possible to show video, but there has to be a heck of a
>> backend transcoding in realtime...
>>
>> --Yan
>>

> That's too bad. My verizon phone can play my mythrecordings just fine at
> 640x480 and 30fps in xvid format. I was actually thinking of getting one of
> the N800's cause of the bigger screen, but if you have to transcode that
> much, seems like a waste. I do transcodes of my videos anyways, so for me,
> it's just a matter of copying it over to my phone and playing it, no
> additional transcoding needed.

I have transcoded video to 640x480 from 1368x760 and transferred it to
my Nokia N810. Plays beautifully at 30fps. The original 4.8G show
(Nature on PBS) came down to 700Meg. I did not do any other
optimizations. Didn't take too long to do the transcode either.

And, if you have a Nokia 800 or 810, check out mythetomer at maemo
garage. It turns you Nokia into a mythtv remote. VERY cool..

Geoff