[mythtv-users] IR Blaster and LIRC RPMs

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Apr 30 17:38:00 UTC 2008

On 30/04/2008, scott at tbwifi.ca <scott at tbwifi.ca> wrote:
> Hi Nick,
>  As always that you very much for your input.  You have been a great help
>  over the past few months.  Are we the only Mandriva Myth users?  I gotta
>  wonder some times...

I'm not a Mandriva user :) Just trying to help you out.

>  Okay it would appear that my serial port is working from your comments.
>  On this box I have never had a reason to use it so I couldn't be sure.
>
>  I have followed this site for much of my ir blaster / lirc setup as it is
>  one of the only Mandriva site specific versions and he is also using 2008.
>
>  http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/lirc.html
>
>  Referring to the link, he suggests modifications to the
>  /etc/sysconfig/lircd file which I have done.  I have also adjusted mine
>  the reflect
>
>  DEVICE=/dev/lirc/0
>  in place of
>  DEVICE=/dev/lirc0
>
>  I have the lircd.conf file in place, but I have not done anything with the
>  .lircrc file as I believe this to be specifically for receiving ir signals
>  which I don't require.

The ~/.lircrc file is used to map buttons defined in /etc/lircd.conf
with commands/keys for programs (such as MythTV). You do not need this
file when using an IR blaster, as irsend uses the button names defined
in /etc/lircd.conf directly.

> My box is mostly just a backend, but I do use the
>  frontend on it occasionally with the keyboard for custom recording stuff.
>
>  I haven't tried what you've suggested in your last email, so I'm hoping
>  that will be the answer.
>

>  # lircd --device=/dev/lirc/0 --output=/dev/lircd --pidfile=/var/run/lircd.pid

To test this, you will need to stop the currently running lircd service first.

> If this does work, what is the best way to capture the intent of this
>  command automatically on each boot?  Right now my lircd just starts as a
>  service which I did via MCC.

If LIRC is already starting as a service, and you have correctly
configured /etc/syconfig/lircd to use the correct device (which you
appear to), you shouldn't need to change anything else. The only time
you might need to edit the LIRC init.d script is if you need to have 2
instances of LIRC running for multiple devices - this does not apply
to you if this is a backend-only machine and you are not using a
remote control with it.

The "quick'n'dirty" way to get things working quickly is to place all
LIRC related commands in /etc/rc.local, and disable the LIRC service
from starting automatically, viz:

--- add to /etc/rc.local ---
/bin/setserial /dev/ttyS0 uart none
modprobe lirc-serial
sleep 2
service lircd start

On Fedora/CentOS I use the much cleaner
/etc/sysconfig/modules/lirc.modules approach, which keeps such cruft
out of my rc.local file and allows the lircd service to start at boot
- I do not know whether Mandriva has a similar approach to getting
modules loaded during startup.

--
Nick Morrott

MythTV Official wiki: