[mythtv-users] [Now OT, was] DVB-S channel scanning gets stuck

Mark Fraser mythtv at mfraz74.orangehome.co.uk
Fri Aug 1 15:11:08 UTC 2008

On Thursday 31 July 2008 18:55:22 Graham Wood wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 05:32:29PM +0100, Steve Hill wrote:
> > As far as I know, equipment still has to be BABT approved (prior to
> > privatisation, most phones were hard-wired rather than plug-in things
> > anyway).  I don't know how approval is enforced though - it might be
> > through your BT contract rather than by law.  Certainly, back around the
> > 1995 era, BABT approved modems were 2-3 times the price of unapproved
> > ones, so a lot of people just (illegally) used the unapproved hardware.
>
> The BABT approval (green dot) and not (red dot) is the thing that I don't
> think applies anymore.  In fact, doing a google for that 4 letter
> combination gets very few hits - and none on BTs site.  Looking further, it
> seems that the stories about the green dot 'being required' may have been
> urban myths in the first place (but I make no guarantees about that).

I definitely remember seeing the warning in Maplin catalogues from about 10
years ago saying that you shouldn't connect anything to a BT line that had a
red circle.

I did find a couple of websites though - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BABT
which leads to http://www.babt.com/ which now seems to be part of the TUV
group.

--
|\  /| ark Fraser  /Registered Linux User #466407