[mythtv-users] Migrating from Ubuntu to Fedora as the base for MythTV installation (Was "Re: Which 3rd party repository should I use for Fedora 9?")

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Fri Aug 1 15:58:47 UTC 2008

On 8/1/08, Carlos Javier Borroto <carlos.borroto at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 9:31 AM, Mario Limonciello
> <mario.mailing at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Carlos Javier Borroto wrote:
> >> On Wed, Jul 30, 2008 at 5:49 PM, Brad DerManouelian
> >> <myth at dermanouelian.com> wrote:
> >>
> >> Well I have never use a Red Hat system for a long period of time in my
> >> 8 years using Linux, only SuSE, Debian and Ubuntu, the last 2 mainly,
> >> so I'm feeling that I should test by myself the most commercial
> >> successful Linux distro and with Fedora also one of the most popular.
> Rigth now my problems on the frontend with the audio are getting
> really bad, last night after a while of playback, the sound start to
> distortion, my girlfriend have a good time making fun of "my" tv
> system, where I past to much time playing with, I tested a normal
> Totem playback and I got the same results, so is not MythTV fault .
> Then yes Fedora also use Pulseaudio, but I had read that the upstream
> dev use Fedora(flame war over Gnome Planet) and things seems better
> there right now.
>
> But again, in the end the main reason is my desire of testing a
> popular distro which I had never used, I even realize now that I
> shouldn't mentioned Mythbuntu on my initial post, cause it wasn't
> relevant, my intention was to gave a background of my actual
> implementation, maybe I should said "I'm new to Fedora.....".

Apparantly Linus himself uses Fedora :
http://apcmag.com/linus_torvalds_talks_future_of_linux_page_3.htm , so that
says something about it.

I run a mixed Fedora / Ubuntu setup.  I have two homes.  The main one uses a
Fedora 9 backend (and is the 'main' computer with several TB of RAID
storage), with Ubuntu frontends, and at my other I have an Ubuntu
frontend/backend.  I used to be 100% Fedora.

I found Ubuntu is easier to use and install (and get things like audio on
flash working), but I prefer the flexibility of Fedora for my main backend -
so my ideal combo is Fedora on the back, and Ubuntu on the front.  The main
similarity with both distros is they get better and better with each
release.