[mythtv-users] DirecTV H21 via S-Video

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Fri Aug 1 16:22:16 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 01, 2008 at 09:05:54AM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Aug 1, 2008, at 6:35 AM, jedi wrote:
>
> > So how well do you think that fares over an old SD unit?
>
> It looks about as good as DVD quality.
>
> > On my old unit I have some very agressive PVR150 settings and
> > I still see pretty crappy signal on most channels. I suspect
> > it's DirecTV overcompressing things. I have DVD content recorded
> > at and transcoded to similar bitrates that's dramatically better.
> >
> > So I suspect my broadcast source of being (well) crappy.
> >
> > For most stuff I am perfectly content with a clean 720x480 or even
> > 640x480 but I really don't think that's what DirecTV is sending.
>
> You'll be pleasantly surprised with the quality from the H21 box.

I believe it's actually an H23 (if it matters).

If I can get 480x480p out of the dang thing that might be improvement enough.

The 720p stuff looks cool although I'm not sure it matters so
much for what I've seen so far. I will probably setup a test
backend with the H23 and the 1212 since I don't want to run
trunk for "production".

My minis kind of limped along with the 720p stuff and the ATV just fell over.