[mythtv-users] Binary packages for 0.20.2 for Xebian?

Piers Kittel mailing at biased.org
Fri Aug 1 19:01:44 UTC 2008

Hello all,

I recently obtained 2 Xboxes.  I have soft modded them and then
followed a guide [1] and have xebian 1.1.4 installed on one of them.
I'm now trying to install MythTV.  Thing is that my backend is version
0.20.2 [2] so I obviously can't use version 0.21.  As hard as I try to
look, I can only find binaries for 0.20 and 0.21, but not 0.20.2.  I
did find something labelled 0.20-xebian.4 [3].  I am not 100% sure
whether it's 0.20 or something else, but I'm convinced it's 0.20.

The point of this email is that I want to know:

1) Do I *have* to use binaries complied specially for Xebian, or can I
use just any 0.20.2 binaries?
2) Where do I find 0.20.2 binaries compiled for Xebain?  I do know I
could compile the frontend as the source code is easily obtainable
but... you've guessed it, I want a simple life....  Not sure I'd have
enough hard drive space on the Xbox anyway - 400MB free.  Unless I
don't need Xebian specific binaries, where do I find generic 0.20.2
binaries preferably in .deb format please?

Thank you very much for your time in advance!

Regards - Piers

[1] http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/
Xbox_Frontend_on_Xebian_stable - though out of date, I had to change
"stable" to "oldstable" to prevent etch being installed - I know I
should upgrade to etch, but the last time I upgraded from sarge to
etch, I was in a world of pain, and I just want a simple life....

[2] Yes I *know* I should be using 0.21 by now, but upgrading from
0.19 to 0.20 landed me into another world of pain and caused MythTV to
miss a few of my SWMBO's *extremely critical* TV programmes and it
took me weeks convincing her to keep MythTV.  I am now allowed to
upgrade to 0.21 PROVIDED I set up a separate server with a ghosted
hard drive, and prove I can upgrade without a hitch.  Again, I just
want a simple life....

[3] xbox1:~# apt-cache showpkg mythtv-frontend
Package: mythtv-frontend
Versions:
0.20-xebian.4(/var/lib/apt/lists/
alexfisher.me.uk_debian_dists_sarge.old_main_binary-i386_Packages)

Reverse Depends:
   mythtv-themes,mythtv-frontend 0.18-1
   mythtv-themes,mythtv-frontend 0.17-1
   mythtv-common,mythtv-frontend 0.15-3