[mythtv-users] Is MythTV an open forwarder? (was Re: OT: Spam?]

Jay R. Ashworth jra at baylink.com
Fri Aug 1 19:42:41 UTC 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 01:58:28PM -0400, Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 07/31/2008 11:16 AM, Greg Estabrooks wrote:
> >> The list doesn't hide email address in the archive?  That's kind of silly
> >>
> >  There are dozens of archives out there all archiving mythtv-* which
> > are not under the mythtv.org control, so your info is already available to
> > everyone who reads this list, including those other archive sites. In fact
> > the majority of users I would say use the gossamer and other archives
> > more than the crappy mailman archives :)
>
> Besides, it's kind of hard to have a conversation that looks like:
>
> On 07/31/2008 11:16 AM, mythtv-users wrote:
>
> Not to mention something like that would make it hard to determine how
> much credence to give a response or whether to ignore a message because
> it's from that annoying Mike Dean guy or whatever.

Much worse: there have been half a dozen instances in the last 10
years where I've gotten useful information from Googling a mailing list
archive, and writing to someone who posted half a solution 2 years ago.

If the archive hid their addresses, I would have been up the
metaphorical creek.

Cheers,
-- jra

	     Those who cast the vote decide nothing.