[mythtv-users] Acer Aspire One frontend

Sun Aug 3 03:26:38 UTC 2008

My frontend mobo died recently and I'm faced with finding a replacement.
The old system was very noisy and bulky, I didn't like it much so this may
be a blessing in disguise.

By coincidence, I'm also looking for a small notebook for doing remote
support work for my job. So, I was considering using a Acer Aspire Once
netbook to do both jobs. See http://tinyurl.com/5t5s3k

I think this would make a good frontend, it would be almost silent, has no
moving parts, three usb ports (for IR, remote keyboard, and external DVD
player), has 8 gig SSD for storage and a 1.6G processor. I don't have HD
and probably won't for the forseeable future, although at 1.6G I imagine it
could handle it. It has a funny linux installed but I think I'd try an
ubuntu or mythbuntu install on it when I got it.

I was wondering if anyone else has tried this. One of my questions is (and
I've searched in vain for it): What would be the maximum resolution that I
could drive the VGA port? I have a 37 inch LCD TV with VGA inputs, so I'd
want to drive it fairly high and I'm not sure the graphics card can do
that.

Can anyone answer that or see any other potential problems with my plan?

Robin