[mythtv-users] OT: Apple might add H.264 hardware to the whole Mac line?

George Mari george_mythusers at mari1938.org
Mon Aug 4 01:01:22 UTC 2008

Marc Barrett wrote:
> Interesting article:
>
> http://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/2008/pulpit_20080801_005339.html
>
> Best bit: "I [the author] reported more than a year ago and repeated in this year's predictions that Apple would be adding H.264 hardware support to its entire line of computers."
>
> There are Linux distributions that already run on Macs, and MythTV is also available for Intel Macs.  So what would be the chances of getting MythTV to support these new hardware H.264-Macs?

Just like anything else like this in the Linux world, it depends on how
open they make the hardware.

I wouldn't hold out too much hope - if I recall correctly, Macs have
hardware MPEG2 acceleration today, but no Linux support that I know of.

I think there was one clever developer who managed to understand how to
make the MPEG2 hardware work, but only just.  Not sure whatever became
of it.