[mythtv-users] Correcting high-pitched ("Chipmunks") audio

Rod Smith mythtv at rodsbooks.com
Mon Aug 4 05:24:06 UTC 2008

Hi,

There's a problem that's been annoying me with some video files obtained on
the Internet lately: Some (but by no means all) of these files have audio
that's too high-pitched, resulting in "Chipmunks" voices. The audio is in
sync with the picture, but peoples' voices are just off. For some characters
(particularly men with deep voices), this is quite distracting. This occurs
when playing under MythTV's built-in player, mplayer, xine, and every other
player I've tried (including QuickTime under Mac OS X). Here are some of the
potentially relevant lines from midentify:

ID_VIDEO_FORMAT=XVID
ID_VIDEO_FPS=23.976
ID_AUDIO_FORMAT=8192
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=192000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=0
ID_AUDIO_NCH=0
ID_VIDEO_CODEC=ffodivx
ID_AUDIO_BITRATE=192000
ID_AUDIO_RATE=48000
ID_AUDIO_NCH=2
ID_AUDIO_CODEC=a52

I've been playing with mencoder and ffmpeg options in an effort to transcode
the files into something that'll play normally, but with no luck so far. Is
there some utility I can use to adjust the audio to get normally-pitched
voices? Thanks for any pointers.

--
Rod Smith