[mythtv-users] Adjusting picture levels on FX5200 TV out?

Daniel Kristjansson danielk at cuymedia.net
Mon Aug 4 11:10:38 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-08-03 at 21:59 -0500, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> I am using a GeForce 2 based FX5200 card with S-Video TV out and the
> picture size is fine,  However, the colors and the levels are way out
> of kilter.  I'm recording from my DirecTV receiver using composite

The FX5200 has picture adjustment hardware build in, but it is
incompatible with some modern Xorg windowing features so it is
disabled by default with all modern drivers. If you are not alpha
blending random windows on top of your video window, you can put
this in your xorg.conf "Device" section:

  Option "XvmcUsesTextures" "false"

Then restart X.

Now you can enable the "Xv picture controls" in Playback settings,
this will enable the "F" key during playback to allow you to adjust
the picture for existing recordings during playback.

Even without this change to your xorg.conf, you can adjust the
recording picture quality for PVR-150 by entering LiveTV and using
the "G" key to adjust global settings, and the "Ctrl-G" key to
adjust a single channel. You should do this first to ensure that
the recordings you make are of the highest quality, then use the
"F" key to adjust your old recordings, those settings only apply
for the current playback session.

-- Daniel