[mythtv-users] multirec and overlapping recordings

Robert RobertCL at iname.com
Mon Aug 4 11:44:52 UTC 2008

On Mon, August 4, 2008 12:14 pm, Jon Bishop wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2008, at 4:03 AM, Ashley Bostock wrote:

>>> Should have really predicted this question. Yes I have got multiple
>>> virtual tuners set up and can record from 2 different channels on the
>>> same multiplex.
>>>
>> Unfortunately it doesn't work as you would expect, it still ignores
>> the soft padding and works just like it always has.  To "force" it I
>> think the only way is to go through your recording rules for the
>> ovelapping recordings and set the hard padding (start early/end late)
>> for each.
>
> That is quite disappointing. Was that the intended result? I would
> think that the soft padding should cause this to happen without having
> to actually change EVERY recording schedule... I know that I was
> disappointed to see that my 2 tuners (each with 2 virtual tuners)
> don't pad back to back recordings. I have to go watch the end of one
> to catch the beginning of the other sometimes, and the beginning of
> one to catch the end of another other times (I blame the network for
> this...)
>
> I have it set to soft-pad everything to start a minute early and
> record a minute long.... so shouldn't the multirecord feature honor
> this, any time there's no conflicts (i.e. as long as there's an
> available tuner/multiplex), even though it's not hard-padded into each
> program schedule? Is this a bug? Can this be fixed? Does anybody else
> even want this fixed?

I'd like to see this changed (or fixed, depending on what the original
intention was!)  Or make it an option somewhere.

I get the same problems as you do with back-to-back recordings of shows
where the end of one ends up in the start of the next.  I have a default
3min soft-padding start and end setup, but there's no way I could be
bothered to set this up on all my rules.  Plus setting it up on all rules
with hard-padding may cause unnecessary conflicts (I think).

Robert.