[mythtv-users] My Mythbuntu 8.04 can't play TheDailyShow but my Ubuntu 8.04 can, wtf?

Mario Limonciello mario.mailing at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 12:35:42 UTC 2008

allen edwards wrote:
> This has me stumped.  I asked about this before but now have narrowed it
> down more so I am looking for other Mythbuntu 8.04 users to try this.
>
> Running Mythbuntu 8.04 and both Firefox 3.0 and 3.01 this site:
> http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-episodes/index.jhtml?episodeId=178206
> Just closes Firefox just before the video starts to play.
>
> Running it on my Ubuntu 8.04 with Firefox 3.0 and it plays fine.
>
> Before I go try and fix this, are other Mythbuntu 8.04 users having the
> same problem?
>
> Is there another browser I can try?
>
> This is about the only thing I want to watch streaming and it won't work.
>
> Allen

This sounds like the very common flash crashes my browser problem.  Take a look
at your normal Ubuntu box for two things:

1) dpkg -l | grep flash

Make sure that if you have libflashsupport installed there, that you install it
here too.  If you don't, make sure you don't here too.

2) Check the flash version.  about;plugins will tell you.  The (newer) betas
seem to work better for me.

--
Mario Limonciello
mario.mailing at gmail.com