[mythtv-users] My Mythbuntu 8.04 can't play TheDailyShow but my Ubuntu 8.04 can, wtf?

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Mon Aug 4 15:15:32 UTC 2008

Mario Limonciello wrote:

Thanks for the reply.  I think you are on to something.

> This sounds like the very common flash crashes my browser problem.  Take a look
> at your normal Ubuntu box for two things:

I should note that flash usually works, even on the same page that has
the flash that crashes my browser, but yes, flash is crashing my browser.

> 1) dpkg -l | grep flash
>
> Make sure that if you have libflashsupport installed there, that you install it
> here too.  If you don't, make sure you don't here too.
>
> 2) Check the flash version.  about;plugins will tell you.  The (newer) betas
> seem to work better for me.

There are differences between the Mythbuntu and Ubuntu machines.

The flash plugins are the same: "Shockwave Flash 9.0 r124"

dpkg gives different outputs.

Mythbuntu (machine with problem):

ii  flashplugin-nonfree
10.0.1.218+10.0.0.525ubuntu1~hardy1+really9.0.124.0ubuntu2
Adobe Flash Player plugin installer

ii  libflashsupport
1.9-0ubuntu2~hardy1+really0ubuntu1                         Support
library for sound output of Flash 91

Ubuntu (machine that works):

ii  flashplugin-nonfree
9.0.124.0ubuntu2
Adobe Flash Player plugin installer

I don't know what to make of the extra:
"10.0.1.218+10.0.0.525ubuntu1~hardy1+really"

This could have come from our unsuccessful attempt to get ABC streaming
to work.  I think I also had to install packages to get streaming to
work as well.

So, I think you are suggesting that I uninstall "libflashsupport".  Is
that correct?

What should I do about the differences in the flashplugin-nonfree line?

Allen