[mythtv-users] WEIRD mythtv setup problem

Kevin Kuphal kkuphal at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 15:50:48 UTC 2008

On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 10:44 AM, Fedor Pikus <fpikus at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 5:42 AM, Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com>
> wrote:
> > On 08/04/2008 01:55 AM, Fedor Pikus wrote:
> >> I did a fresh install of CentOS 5, then installed mythtv, then I run
> >> mythtv-setup and I see the background, the icon (wrench), Mythtv on
> >> the left, "main" in the top left corner, date in the top right corner,
> >> and nothing else.  I wait, nothing shows up.
> >>
> >> By accident, I click somewhere on the scree, the input selection
> >> screen appears. I click somewhere else, the channels screen appears.
> >> Eventually I figured out that the setup menu is there, except I can't
> >> see any letters. I can scroll up and down with arrow keys and press
> >> Enter, and I get one of setup screens (and the letters there are
> >> fine).
> >
> > Got fonts?  Specifically MS core web fonts.
>
> Got lots of fonts but no MS fonts: liberation fonts, Xorg fonts
> (100dpi, Type1, truetype). BTW, I found out that the problem is also
> present in mythfrontend, but only until I can find the setup menu
> (without seeing the text) and change theme from GANT to something else
> (I used Blue).

You can override various settings on the command-line to mythfrontend like:

mythfrontend -O ThemePainter=Qt

You might try that as a start to see if you have an OpenGL vs. Qt theme
issue.  You can check the various settings names in the settings table of
the database and if it is a theme issue, override on the command-line to see
if that is the case.

Kevin