[mythtv-users] Cpu and power management

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Aug 4 16:11:34 UTC 2008

wouter lists wrote:
> All,
>
> My htpc died last night, so it's time for a new one.
>
> As the energy prices keep rising, it's time to invest in a power
> efficient CPU. What CPU has the lowest power consumption? I'm gonna
> stay with Intel or AMD. High definition would be nice but is not
> required.
>
> My local pc store told me that it's better to buy powerfull
> powersupply, eg 700Watt output. According to him it handles much
> butter the output then a cheap 400Watt powersupply. Is this correct?

It depends on a lot of things, including what your machine actually draws.

Using a 700 watt supply for a machine that actually draws 80 watts would
probably not be the best idea, power supplies often run very
inefficiently at small fractions of their total capacity. The efficiency
of any power supply is a curve, not a scalar number as the makers would
have you believe.

Suggesting a power supply without regard to what it will be powering is
suggestive of a motive other than your best interests.

Very few Myth systems draw a huge amount of power, as SLI video setups
are not needed for them.

The suggestion to look at the 80-plus site was a good one.

beww