[mythtv-users] choosing channel to record by definition?

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Mon Aug 4 17:46:19 UTC 2008

On Aug 4, 2008, at 6:43 AM, Eric Sharkey wrote:

>>> Is there any way to control MythTV's choice of recording definition
>>> for programs set to record at any time on any channel?
>>
>> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Scheduling_Recordings#Priority
>
> Thanks, Brad, but this doesn't really seem to cover my question.
>
> Channel Priorities sort-of covers it, in that it would allow me to
> set a global priority preference for an HD channel over an SD channel
> or vice versa, but there doesn't seem to be a way to do this at
> the individual level for a given recording.  Also, this would seem to
> have some unintented side effects.  I don't really wan to influence
> the scheduler to choose HD program A over SD program B, only to choose
> HD program A over SD program A, or SD program B over HD program B.

Maybe it would help to know how you determine what is a high-def
program and what isn't. If you're looking at just the flag that comes
from schedules direct, custom priority SQL statements might be the way
to go. (I thought there was a built-in way to use this flag, but I
might be wrong and I'm not in front of my myth box right now - and if
I were I'd be too lazy to look for you.) If you can say "This channel
is high def, and this channel isn't", then channel priorities are the
way to go. If you can say, "This input is high def and this input
isn't", then set that on your recording rule.

"seem to have some unintended side effects" - I know what you mean. I
feel like sometimes something might go wrong, too but faith keeps me
going.