[mythtv-users] USB Hard Drive Lifespans and power usage question

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics steve at priorityelectronics.com
Mon Aug 4 18:24:00 UTC 2008

Hello,

I have 6 hard drives for my mythbox. It does a lot more than just myth, so I
do need them all. I have 3 of them internal, and 3 of them in usb
enclosures.

My questions is: Will linux spindown all the drives when they're idle, thus
saving power, and hopefully saving the lifespan of the drives?

Also, will a drive in a usb enclosure last any shorter or longer than an
internal drive? It's definetly warmer in the mythbox because the drives are
all next to each other.

-Thanks
-Steve