[mythtv-users] ViaChrome9 on HP Mini-Note PC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 5 01:20:06 UTC 2008

Robin Gilks wrote:
>> Udo van den Heuvel wrote:
>>> http://wiki.openchrome.org/tikiwiki/tiki-index.php?page=HardwareCaveats
>> I'm not really sure what "not implemented, up to 1024x1024" means.
>> (referring to mpeg2 support).
>>
>> If it's not implemented, why would you list an "up to" resolution spec?
>> That would make more sense if it was implemented. I can't imagine a
>> situation where HD resolutions ae supported but not SD ones.
>>
>> I think I will simply assume that compressed video support doesn't exist
>> with this chipset.
>
> I think what this means is that it supports Xv to 1024x1024 but doesn't
> implement XvMC as yet.

Maybe, though why that would be under the mpeg2 column I'm not sure.

> My CN400 based Epia SP13000 I've given up on XvMC - the 1.3GHz CPU jut
> about handles all I throw at it without the extra hardware support and it
> avoids a lot of 'blue face' issues with some divx/mpeg4 files. It can even
> play a xvid 720p file in native mode on my 1368x720 TV.

That CPU should be able to deal with mpeg2 without help, but the machine
I was looking at probably wouldn't cope with h264. I'm looking for a
portable machine that can handle the recordings from my 1212.

I guess any h'ware help for h264 is a ways off at this time.

Thanks for the info.

beww