[mythtv-users] Recording the olympics

Yan Seiner yan at seiner.com
Tue Aug 5 02:18:21 UTC 2008

Brian Foddy wrote:
> On Monday 04 August 2008, Yan Seiner wrote:
>
>> So the Olympics are starting up.  I want to record them but ... the
>> blocks in Schedules Direct are up to 8 hours.  I don't know how my
>> system would handle a 30 or 40 GB file, but my guess is that bad things
>> might happen.
>>
>> Is there some way to tell myth to record this but in 1 hour chunks?
>>
>> --Yan
>>

> You can always set a manual recording program, but may I ask why you don't
> think your machine will take large file sizes?  If you have the disk space,
> are using suggested settings to reduce fragmentation, things should work just
> fine.  I've done 4 hour HD recordings at ~30GB without batting an eye.  XFS
> helps, but if you don't use it then use the show delete.

Well, diskspace I have, but it's the comm flagging that bugs me.  First
I have to record the whole thing, then I have to wait about the same
amount of time before it's flagged.  In the meantime, it's recorded 2
more 5 hour episodes.  So I don't see the commflagging keeping up with
the recording....

One or two hour chunks would be more manageable.

--Yan

--
  o__

"I worry about my child and the Internet all the time, even though she's too young to have logged on yet. Here's what I worry about. I worry that 10 or 15 years from now, she will come to me and say 'Daddy, where were you when they took freedom of the press away from the Internet?'"
--Mike Godwin, Electronic Frontier Foundation