[mythtv-users] possible (really cheap) frontend?? will this work?

Marc Randolph mrand at pobox.com
Tue Aug 5 02:46:19 UTC 2008

On Fri, Aug 1, 2008 at 3:32 PM, jedi <jedi at mishnet.org> wrote:

>   This reminds me of a post from Ars where some guy suggested that
> there would be future Atom versions of the ATV with h264 acceleration
> coming from the video chipset. He mentioned Intel.
>
>   Anyone have a clue to what he might have been referring?
>
>   Intel + hw h264 made me start to wonder when such features
> might be available to us.

Almost certainly referring to the Atom with an SCH: Intel is calling
the forthcoming (if it isn't here already) combined North+South bridge
an "SCH", or system controller hub.  The first one is numbered
"US15W":
http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/embedded/SCHUS15W/techdocs.htm

An additional, informative writeup can be found here:
http://www.anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/intel/showdoc.aspx?i=3276&p=16

Since it is lower power, has more features, and almost certainly costs
less, Apple would be silly not to update the ATV with it.  If they
didn't do it, someone else would.

   Marc