[mythtv-users] commercial skipping on the Sci-Fi channel

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 02:54:48 UTC 2008

Josh White wrote:
> Does anyone else have trouble with commercial skipping in shows recorded
> from the Sci-Fi channel? For example, if I record an episode of Star
> Trek Voyager on Sci-Fi, the auto commercial skipping never seems to
> work.  If I record an episode of the same show on Spike TV, the
> commercial skipping seems to work flawlessly.  Has anyone else seen
> similar behavior?

Sci fi has been bad for me for quite a while.
It was fine for a year then one day it went completely nuts. On a lot of
shows I had to just turn off the autoskip.
I just chalked it up to SciFi coming up with ways to trick autoskipping
DVRs. I see plenty of things that look suspicious like this. Often the
logo will stay during the first few commercials, especially commercials
for shows. And then it will take a while to come back; the show will be
on for 30-45 seconds before the logo reappears. Another thing I've
noticed is a near-instantaneous transition to commercials - no blank
screen at all. This fools the flagger some of the time.

I have also noticed that some channels work much better than others.