[mythtv-users] Antenna amplifier

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Aug 5 03:09:46 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner wrote:
> More on the Olympics.  NBC is broadcasting it.  I never watch NBC.  It
> comes in with the weakest signal - my pcHDTV won't lock in on it.  (Now
> I find out.)
>
> So two alternatives:
>
> 1.  Get up on the roof and fsck with the antennas to the great amusement
> of my family and neighbors.

Certainly the cheaper approach.

> 2.  Get a 2 way amplified splitter.  About 9 to 12 DB should be plenty.
> Any suggestions on model/brand/suitability?

Depends, you may just be boosting the noise floor by 9 - 12 db.

To do it properly you need to know where the xmtr is, what it's ERP and
countour is, your antenna specs, your height, losses in your signal path
etc. etc.

An antenna in good condition, properly aimed and mounted is a good
start. More basically - can your neighbors get a usable signal on NBC
from an antenna? If not, you are not likely to do much better.

I've read that capture cards require more signal than TV sets, but this
doesn't make sense to me as the card makers are almost certainly using
off-the-shelf tuners. If you can get +10dbmv. great, even zero should be
watchable.

beww