[mythtv-users] Antenna amplifier

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Tue Aug 5 03:30:49 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner wrote:
> More on the Olympics.  NBC is broadcasting it.  I never watch NBC.  It
> comes in with the weakest signal - my pcHDTV won't lock in on it.  (Now
> I find out.)
>
> So two alternatives:
>
> 1.  Get up on the roof and fsck with the antennas to the great amusement
> of my family and neighbors.
>
> 2.  Get a 2 way amplified splitter.  About 9 to 12 DB should be plenty.
> Any suggestions on model/brand/suitability?
>
> Thanks,
>
> --Yan

You probably want an amplifier.  You want it close to the antenna.  Mine
is in the attic about 10 feet of cable from the antenna but the closer
the better.  The amplifier I would suggest can be put on the pole.

You want more gain than you now have loss.  If you have 100 feet of RG59
at channel 35 (600MHz) that would be 8dB of loss.  If you have a couple
of 2 way splitters, add another 7dB (about 3.5dB per 2 way split).
Without knowing your wire type and length and the number of splitters,
it is difficult to say for sure but with 15dB of loss, you might get the
  19 or 29dB amplifier for about $50 at
https://www.tselectronic.com/winegard/ap_preamp.html

I bought probably a half dozen amplifiers and most of them were junk and
got returned.  I would not buy one from Radio Shack or Home Depot.
These Wineguard amplifiers are good.  They also have FM traps to filter
out the high level FM signals so that they don't overload the amplifier.

If you have very strong signals close by, you might want an amplifier
that can take a higher level.  I have a large antenna and am about 40
miles from the transmitter.  I got the AP8700 and am happy with it.

Good luck,

Allen