[mythtv-users] Recording the olympics

Jon Bishop jon.the.wise.gdrive at gmail.com
Tue Aug 5 08:39:33 UTC 2008

On Aug 5, 2008, at 12:43 AM, Nick Rout wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 2:18 PM, Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> wrote:
>> Brian Foddy wrote:

>>> You can always set a manual recording program, but may I ask why
>>> you don't
>>> think your machine will take large file sizes?  If you have the
>>> disk space,
>>> are using suggested settings to reduce fragmentation, things
>>> should work just
>>> fine.  I've done 4 hour HD recordings at ~30GB without batting an
>>> eye.  XFS
>>> helps, but if you don't use it then use the show delete.
>>>

>> Well, diskspace I have, but it's the comm flagging that bugs me.
>> First
>> I have to record the whole thing, then I have to wait about the same
>> amount of time before it's flagged.  In the meantime, it's recorded 2
>> more 5 hour episodes.  So I don't see the commflagging keeping up
>> with
>> the recording....
>>
>> One or two hour chunks would be more manageable.
>>
>> --Yany
>
> I just saw a segment on our local news (games buildup) that NBC are
> set to transmit 3600 hours of tv from the olympics. Thats a lot of
> disk space!

Yanno what's funny? I just set my schedule for the olympics yesterday,
and in schedules direct, it's showing me the olympic events being
broadcasted in 1 to 2 hour blocks, by event (2 or 3 events per block),
with each block being aired multiple times in a given day.

3600 hours of TV? Are you sure? I realize they will have more than one
camera recording, and more than one event happening at a time, but
that is 150 DAYS of television. As I understand it, they've only got 2
weeks to record all this footage, and only one channel to broadcast it
on (over that same 2 week period).

I have heard that NBC plans to stream the olympics on the web, likely
with subtitle/captions, in order to entice more people to watch the
events when they otherwise might not be... but even still...