[mythtv-users] USB Hard Drive Lifespans and power usage question

mythtv at blandford.net mythtv at blandford.net
Tue Aug 5 18:04:09 UTC 2008

Steve Peters - Priority Electronics wrote:
>> I live in the phoenix area.  Last year we had more than 130 days of
>> consecutive 100+ degree weather.  It isn't uncommon to be 130
>> degrees in
>> the garage and 160+ in the attic.
>>
>> I don't think my mythtv server would last long in either.
>>
>> Michael
>

> Michael, do you keep your mythbox(s) in air conditioned rooms? I'd be
> curious to see the hard drive temps of your drives.

There is no such thing as a non-air conditioned living space here :)
When it hits 117 air conditioning is required.

My mythtv backend is in a closet with a vent at the top to allow hot air
to escape, but no fan driving the air movement.

The room temperature is about 82 degrees.  I don't know the actual
temperature of the closet.

At 10:30am today they are:

/dev/sda: ST3400832A: 42°C
/dev/sdb: ST3400832A: 41°C
/dev/sdc: SAMSUNG HD501LJ: 25°C
/dev/sdd: SAMSUNG HD501LJ: 25°C
/dev/sde: SAMSUNG HD501LJ: 24°C
/dev/sdf: SAMSUNG HD501LJ: 25°C
/dev/sdg: SAMSUNG HD501LJ: 25°C
/dev/sdh: SAMSUNG HD501LJ: 25°C

The first two contain the OS, home directories, services, etc.  These
are a mirror.

The last 6 are configured as a raid6 that is just for mythtv.  They are
spun down at this point so they are much cooler.  I use hdparm to spin
down the array when nothing is recording/playing.  This takes the power
consumption from 185W to 135W.

When spun up and recording a show for 30 minutes:
/dev/sda: ST3400832A: 42°C
/dev/sdb: ST3400832A: 42°C
/dev/sdc: SAMSUNG HD501LJ: 35°C
/dev/sdd: SAMSUNG HD501LJ: 33°C