[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

JEDIDIAH jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Aug 5 20:09:24 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 12:54:16PM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 12:45 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
> > Param Singh wrote:
> >> If everything about mythtv and its usability is good, then why
> >> competitors are using "mythtv is a lot of work" as marketing tool ?
> >>
> >> Screenshot :: http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/5687/mythtvju4.png
> >
> > Well, it is.  Linux is a fair bit of work, for that matter, and setting
> > up Linux is the first step in setting up Myth.  Neither product is aimed
> > at people who want a solution they can just take out of the box and plug in.
> >
> > If you're running Linux and/or MythTV, it's because you like to tinker.
> >  IMHO, calling this a flaw is a bit like calling up a car manufacturer
> > and complaining you have to depress the clutch pedal every time you
> > shift.  They're just going to ask you why you didn't order an automatic
> > transmission instead. ;)
>
> We've been using Linux for about 8 years at home. It's still
> frustrating, mostly in the distro space. Kids making decisions about
> packages that effect 10,000 people without considering all the issues.
> Nothing we can do as users except deal with the problems they create.
> I still like Linux far more than Windows from which I am typing this
> email.
>
> As for Myth, we find it very usable, but also very strange. 30-40% of
> our recordings don't get commercial flagging. Once every few weeks we
> find the listings don't get downloaded. It's an inconsistent program,
> although far, far better than it used to be.

OTOH, I come from Tivo so I am just happy to have my skip button not
disappear anytime the unit powers off. As much BS that goes on with
scrolling and popups these days, I am amazed that commflagging works
as well as it does. I wouldn't knock anyone for "misses" in the regard.

> I suspect a lot of the stuff against Myth is just FUD based on old
> info. We enjoy it but are using it far less now with the NetFlix/Roku
> box being cheap and easy....

    Between stuff like ivtv and lirc, it was a bitch and a half to get
installed just a few months ago. Operationally, it has similar problems
with any PVR. MythTV can be a little more complicated becase there are
more options. Although you can "brute force" that even by just thinking
in more Tivo-ish terms.

...then again, few things can compare to having the ability to fix
your own guide data when the listing service gets behind.