[mythtv-users] Recording the olympics

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Tue Aug 5 20:12:38 UTC 2008

Yan Seiner <yan at seiner.com> says:
> So the Olympics are starting up.  I want to record them but ... the
> blocks in Schedules Direct are up to 8 hours.  I don't know how my
> system would handle a 30 or 40 GB file, but my guess is that bad
> things might happen.
>
> Is there some way to tell myth to record this but in 1 hour chunks?

As others have mentioned, there's nothing in MythTV or Linux file
systems that inherently causes issues with 30-40GB files. (Unless one
wants to delete such a file on the EXT3 file system and doesn't have
slow deletes turned on.)

Now, a tip for those, like me, who aren't particular fans of any of
the Olympic events, but wouldn't mind having at all times several
"episodes" available for perusal (the closest thing I ever come to
"channel surfing," I suppose): Create a rule to "Record at any time on
any channel," but set the priority to below that of anything else
that's more important. Then, make sure that Setup|TV
Settings|General|Auto Expire Method is set to Lowest Priority
First. This way, the Olympics won't ever prevent another recording,
and will always be auto-deleted if the space is needed for another
recording.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array