[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Aug 5 20:45:49 UTC 2008

Mark Knecht wrote:
> We've been using Linux for about 8 years at home. It's still
> frustrating, mostly in the distro space. Kids making decisions about
> packages that effect 10,000 people without considering all the issues.
> Nothing we can do as users except deal with the problems they create.

The great thing about distros is there are so many of them.  If you
don't like the way the one you're using is managed, you can switch.

If you want a "mature" distribution that doesn't push out unnecessary
changes, I'd suggest one of the Red Hat derivatives.  Scientific Linux
and CentOS both track Red Het 5, which is a distribution aimed at
businesses that want stability and long service lives between upgrades.
  If I were starting over that's probably what I'd use.