[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

JEDIDIAH jedi at mishnet.org
Tue Aug 5 21:37:41 UTC 2008

On Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 01:45:49PM -0700, David Brodbeck wrote:
> Mark Knecht wrote:
> > We've been using Linux for about 8 years at home. It's still
> > frustrating, mostly in the distro space. Kids making decisions about
> > packages that effect 10,000 people without considering all the issues.
> > Nothing we can do as users except deal with the problems they create.
>
> The great thing about distros is there are so many of them.  If you
> don't like the way the one you're using is managed, you can switch.
>
> If you want a "mature" distribution that doesn't push out unnecessary
> changes, I'd suggest one of the Red Hat derivatives.  Scientific Linux
> and CentOS both track Red Het 5, which is a distribution aimed at
> businesses that want stability and long service lives between upgrades.
>   If I were starting over that's probably what I'd use.

You don't really need a "stable" sort of distribution so much. You
just need to treat the system as a business would. IOW, you aren't
going to push out any gratiutious changes. You are going to test
things first. Perhaps you will let others be guinea pigs for you.

Unix in general "stays working" once you've gotten it that way.

That's one of it's key strong points. It doesn't matter so much
what the distro maintainers do since your mythboxes should be
well insulated from that anyways.