[mythtv-users] Should I update my box?

Harry Devine lifter89 at comcast.net
Wed Aug 6 02:02:13 UTC 2008

Since I've been having trouble with my V4L and I can't seem to find any
answers (I've asked here and on the V4L list; both to no avail; see
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/343813?search_string=Software%20Encoders;#343813),
I thought that maybe I could try updating my kernel.  I'm running Fedora
8 x86_64 on kernel 2.6.24.5-85.fc8.  I ran Package Updater and I saw I
had alot of updates there.  The 2 that I was concerned with was the
kernel one (it said that the new kernel updates 2.6.25.10 to 2.6.25.11)
and the mythtv packages (0.21-192 replaces what I have, which is 0.21-187).

Should there be any "gotchas" I need to worry about?  Besides the normal
"backup your database", etc.  Does anyone know if there are any kernel
updates in the recent kernels to any V4L issues?.

Thanks,
Harry