[mythtv-users] Transcoded recording got larger!

lindsay.mathieson lindsay.mathieson at optusnet.com.au
Wed Aug 6 05:09:48 UTC 2008

I just tested transcoding a 5.3GB HD Recording. All settings
are the defaults, the transcoding used the default MPEG2
profile. The recording went from 5.3GB to 8GB, isn't it
supposed to shrink?

One possible factor I can think of is its almost certainly a
SD program that's been upscaled to HD.

What I want to achieve is some fairly large space reduction
- I have 20 scrubs recordings I do want to watch but don't
have the time now and I need the space for other things. I'm
quite happy with the average 1 episode divx files you can
D/L off the net and they're typically only 350MB, so I was
hoping for something like that.

Thanks - Lindsay