[mythtv-users] Viewing video files on a CD or DVD

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Aug 6 17:17:20 UTC 2008

On Aug 6, 2008, at 9:20 AM, Sebastian Buks wrote:

> On Aug 6, 2008, at 14:00, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:
>
>>> Is it possible to view video files, encoded with xvid,divx or any
>>> other format directly from a CD or DVD. At first I thought the VCD
>>> mneu was for this purpose (since everybody defines VCD different).
>>> Now I know it would be possible to mount the CD/DVD and include it
>>> in MythVideo, but that requires videoDB updates and is not very
>>> slick. What I'm looking for is a simple way (in fact, just like
>>> MythVideo) to access a DVD with a bunch of video files and choose
>>> the file I want to look at.
>>
>> Here's how I would solve this. First, in the myth frontend settings,
>> there's an option for mythvideo to show all files, rather than using
>> the DB. Turn that on. Then, in that mythvideo directory, make a
>> symlink to your cd/dvd drive. Now, when you browse through mythvideo,
>> it should browse right into the dvd/cd folder and be able to play
>> those files.
>

> That is a solution, however not very nice since using the DB will get
> me information and posters etc. Showing all files stripped right? I'm
> surprised there is no proper way to do this. Maybe something to put in
> the wish-list?

You can use both the DB information and browse mode to list videos.
They just come up with the name without any DB information if there
isn't any. I do this with video podcasts. bashpodder puts podcasts
into their own directory and I use MythVideo to view either DVD's I've
ripped with nice cover art and metadata or just a filename for the
podcast downloads.