[mythtv-users] OT: 'Cloud'ification of your content

Jason Sullivan jason0x21 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 17:44:30 UTC 2008

On Wed, Aug 6, 2008 at 1:35 PM, Dean Collins <Dean at cognation.net> wrote:
> I posted this earlier but looks like it got stopped because of the graphic.
> http://deancollinsblog.blogspot.com/2008/08/cloudification-of-your-content.html
>
> Any thoughts?

I think it's pretty awesome.  One step closer to the a-la-carte cable
I think we're all interested in.  Think about how much less there is
to configure on the "frontend" when there's no actual Disk.  Think
about Google-class storage space (or never missing a show if you're at
the limit, they can just charge you an "overage").  Web configuration
is now possible, too.

Downside?  Well compared to a regular DVR, none.  Compared to Myth, I
don't get to rip my shows to DVD to "archive" them, and the
"placeshifting" that's possible with Myth isn't as easy with this (but
I bet it's easier than with a regular DVR, in fact if I were them I'd
be releasing some software to do that pronto to compete with
Slingbox).

The problem is that while there are plenty of new features possible
with that system, you're at the mercy of the company to implement the
new features.

--
Jason Sullivan
jason0x21 at gmail.com