[mythtv-users] Home Automation + MythTV/Linux

Mark fairlane at springcom.com
Wed Aug 6 23:54:34 UTC 2008

Jason Antman wrote:
> Mitch,
>
> I've done a bit of automation work lately, replacing the thermostat in
> my apartment with a box running CentOS (http://tuxostat.jasonantman.com/).
>
> In terms of hardware, you essentially have two ways to go - a stock
> system with an interface (something like X10) or various levels of
> custom hardware (from an off-the-shelf USB or serial relay board to a
> custom-fabricated PCB and microcontroller). I used the Phidgets 0/0/4
> 4-output USB relay board
> (http://www.phidgets.com/products.php?product_id=1014) for my project,
> though I wouldn't recommend it, given the relatively high cost for a
> unit with a pretty complex API (I would have overwhelmingly preferred
> something with a simple ASCII command set). On the other hand, though,
> it's one of the few easy-to-use relay boards out there. I have a few
> links related to interfacing Linux boxes to stuff in the real world at:
> http://delicious.com/jantman/realworldcontrol

Here's a good example:  My house has a Centralite centralized lighting
controller.  It has inputs for RS232
control.  You could easily write a script that puts out a scene command
or whatever if you push a
button on the remote for Myth, assuming that myth is hooked up to the
controller.  Lots of ways to skin this cat.
X10 would be similar.  As long as you have a pc sitting around hooked up
to your interface, you should be able to
do what you want with some scripting.