[mythtv-users] Olympics Recording - How do I record individual events?

Nick Rout nick.rout at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 05:25:44 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 4:48 AM,  <ccmail at bellsouth.net> wrote:
> "Joe Borne" wrote:
>
>> All I can get are 4 to 8 hour blocks that have 7 or 8 different things. Does
>> anyone know of a way to narrow this down so I don't have to record
>> everything and just fast forward? I know it's probably impossible to get
>> just what I want, but I would think they could at least give us a 1 or 2
>> hour window instead of 8!
>
> NBC doesn't even know exactly what time they're going to be showing a particular event.  They may spend more time on some events and less on others (generally depending on how well the Americans are doing in a particular event).  There's no way they could publish a schedule in advance since it's determined in near real-time.
>
> Chuck

Why do you assume NBC? The don't broadcast to all the world you know :)

But I think the problems are similar around the world. In NZ TVNZ has
the rights (not Sky thank heavens) with two channels going pretty much
all the time except for news (which will all be olympics anyway), and
one of the channels listing everything as "Beijing 2008 Games Of The
XXIX Olympiad", with a few more details in the description, but still
not enough to pin anything down. For example one 3 hour show is "Geoff
Bryan presents LIVE action from Day One in Beijing, featuring:
highlights from the Opening Ceremony; Beach Volleyball; Women's
Basketball (NZ v Malawi); Cycling; and the Men's Road Cycle Race. (G)"

The other channel has specific sports listed but still long blocks, eg
Mens/Womens Beach Volleyball for 300 mins described as "Men's and
Women's Prelims" - how the hell do I record just the women's?

And many of them have a rider "TIMES ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE".

Baaahhhh If you are a serious games watcher just record the whole
damned lot and leave the water cooler crowd to tell you when the good
stuff was on.