[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

John Drescher drescherjm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 7 13:06:14 UTC 2008

On Thu, Aug 7, 2008 at 8:53 AM, Mike Perkins
<mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk> wrote:
> David Brodbeck wrote:
>> Raphael wrote:
>>> Heck, I quit using anything to do with MS office and solely use Open
>>> Office _because_ of usability.
>> I dunno, Open Office is I think a classic example of "chasing
>> taillights."  They're basically trying to make a work-alike for an
>> obsolete version of Microsoft Office at this point.
>>
> They're basically trying to make a work-alike for a version of Microsoft Office
> *that everyone knows how to use* at this point.

Microsoft decided to completely redesign the GUI for most of its
office products with no option of backward compatibility forcing
everyone who knew the old interface (which was basically the same for
at least 10 years) to relearn how to use office. For me at work most
of my users after having the new office for a few days asked for the
old office back since they did not want to spend valuable time
relearning office. I certainly would not call that a usability
improvement.

John