[mythtv-users] Help! New Frontend box cannot connect to master backend in setup.

Allen Edwards allen.edwards at oldpaloalto.com
Thu Aug 7 23:19:29 UTC 2008

My Mythbuntu 8.04 machine works great.  I decided to add a frontend so
my wife can watch from the bedroom.  I am trying to use Mythbuntu 8.04.1
for that.

I googled the two error messages I have gotten in the three install
attempts I have made.  Installing as a frontend only, I get "Connection
Results:  Failure" at the MySQL screen when I test the connection.  I
then tried a simple combined install and then deleted the backend and
got a message "Cannot login to database"  even after entering the IP and
password of the backend.

In the mySQL screen, I entered 192.168.1.111, the IP address of the backend.
For password, I entered the password from the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file
of cdRN8CXD.
I can both ping and connect to mythweb from this would-be frontend so I
know the connection is good.

I checked the Host Address Backend Setup on the main myth box.  I tried
both 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.111 as the IP addresses in both spots.  The
security pin is set to 0000 which should allow anyone to connect.
Everything else looks like it does in the installation manual.

I am stuck, out of ideas.  This can't be this hard as I know lots of
people do this.

Allen