[mythtv-users] Why Free Software has poor usability ?

Raphael rpooser at gmail.com
Fri Aug 8 01:04:57 UTC 2008

David Brodbeck wrote:
> Jason Antman wrote:
>> Why is it obsolete? I only use OpenOffice (thanks to both Linux, and a
>> year-long internship with Sun) and I have yet to try to do anything it
>> can't handle.
>
> Their Access work-alike didn't work, last time I tried it.  You couldn't
> do simple left-join relationships on a form.
>
> I've also heard from others, but never tried myself, that it's lacking
> when you try to do more complex business operations, like mail merge.
>
> It's great for home use, though, don't get me wrong.  It's just far from
> a business-class package.

There you go. Open Office is for people like me who don't have to suffer
using MS Office to do Office-y things. No reason to pay $300-$400 for
such software, when Open Office does everything I need it to. That is
the very opposite of obsolete, in fact.
I feel for the people who have said they've been forced to relearn the
Office interface when MS switched it up in the newest version. MS has
intentionally obsoleted it's own older software (as it is still trying
to do with XP), but that certainly doesn't have much bearing on the
question of whether OO is obsolete or not.