[mythtv-users] Help! New Frontend box cannot connect to master backend in setup.

John Finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Fri Aug 8 05:13:09 UTC 2008

Allen Edwards wrote:
> My Mythbuntu 8.04 machine works great.  I decided to add a frontend so
> my wife can watch from the bedroom.  I am trying to use Mythbuntu 8.04.1
> for that.
>
> I googled the two error messages I have gotten in the three install
> attempts I have made.  Installing as a frontend only, I get "Connection
> Results:  Failure" at the MySQL screen when I test the connection.  I
> then tried a simple combined install and then deleted the backend and
> got a message "Cannot login to database"  even after entering the IP and
> password of the backend.
>
> In the mySQL screen, I entered 192.168.1.111, the IP address of the backend.
> For password, I entered the password from the /etc/mythtv/mysql.txt file
> of cdRN8CXD.
> I can both ping and connect to mythweb from this would-be frontend so I
> know the connection is good.
>
> I checked the Host Address Backend Setup on the main myth box.  I tried
> both 127.0.0.1 and 192.168.1.111 as the IP addresses in both spots.  The
> security pin is set to 0000 which should allow anyone to connect.
> Everything else looks like it does in the installation manual.
>
> I am stuck, out of ideas.  This can't be this hard as I know lots of
> people do this.

Have you tried on the backend using the Applications->System->Mythbuntu
Control Center. Look on the System Services page to see if the MySQL
Service is Enabled which allows the DB to accept connections remotely.
If it's Disabled try Enabling it and then clicking the Apply button. I
don't remember if you have to restart MySQL after doing this.

John